After the successful implementation of the Cancer Innovation Award Scheme’s first and second rounds, which aimed to enhance cancer services and improve people’s experiences, Health Innovation Yorkshire & Humber is excited to collaborate with the South Yorkshire and Bassetlaw Cancer Alliance in launching the third edition of the Scheme.
Individual grants of between £10k and £30k are on offer to successful applicants within the region’s health and care services, including voluntary, community and charitable sector organisations. Applications will support the Cancer Alliance in achieving the objectives as set out in the NHS Long Term Plan and which directly supports cancer service recovery, aligns to CORE20plus5 and contributes to the achievement of:
- 75% of cancers to be diagnosed at stage I or II
- An additional 55,000 patients each year to survive for five years or more following their cancer diagnosis by 2028.
Applicants are asked to define how their proposals will support one or more of the following key activities, ensuring reducing health inequalities and improved outcomes are key considerations:
- Clinical decision making
- Rule in/out tests for cancer
- Digitally supported triage
- Workflow management
- Risk stratification of patients
- Identify, implement and spread proven innovations that have been developed post Covid or as a result of SYB Cancer Innovation Scheme
- Supporting people to have an improved experience within their cancer journey
Sarah Dew, Health Innovation Yorkshire and Humber Innovation Hub Director said:
“We’re pleased to support the third round of the Cancer Innovation Awards scheme in South Yorkshire and Bassetlaw. The first two rounds of this scheme have supported some fantastic projects that have had a demonstrable positive impact for people in South Yorkshire, and we’re excited to see what bold and ambitious ideas will come forward this year.
Thinking creatively about how we can better diagnose, treat and support people throughout and beyond their cancer journey is key to improving outcomes, and we think this scheme plays a critical role in supporting innovation in cancer care in the region.”
In addition, Dr Stephanie Edgar, GP and Clinical Lead from South Yorkshire and Bassetlaw Cancer Alliance, said:
“Being a member of the South Yorkshire and Bassetlaw Cancer Innovation Award Scheme Panel has been incredibly rewarding, hearing about the excellent work being undertaken within rounds one and two, promoting benefits to patients from a range of backgrounds in achieving earlier cancer diagnosis and supporting those living with cancer in our region. I’m excited to be part of round three of the scheme, particularly to understand how proposals support improved outcomes for patients and include a focus on reducing health inequalities within cancer pathways.”
Launching on 18 October 2023, round three of the Cancer Innovation Award Scheme is open to both single organisations and collaborative bids from organisations or care settings across Barnsley, Bassetlaw, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield.
Proposals will be shortlisted according to specific criteria including patient benefit, longer-term sustainability, possibility of spread and ongoing evaluation.
- Applications are now open and will close at noon on Friday 1 December 2023
- The Assessment Panel will shortlist projects in line with the Assessment Criteria
- Shortlisted applicants will be asked to present their proposal to the Panel early January 2024
- It is anticipated successful applicants will be notified by the end of January 2024
- Written confirmation detailing the terms of funding will be sent out for agreement to the successful awardee’s organisation
- Scheme funding to be transferred to successful awardee organisation by end March 2024
- Delivery of successful projects is expected to begin from April 2024
- Awardees will be required to report into the SYB Cancer Alliance Research and Innovation Panel at regular intervals throughout their project delivery phase
- Awardees will be required to complete an end of year report template in Q4 2024/25
How to Apply:
Please complete this application form and return to email@example.com by 12:00 on Friday 1st December 2023.
For further information about the Cancer Innovation Award Scheme, please contact the SYB Cancer Alliance via email firstname.lastname@example.org